Saturday, October 24, 2009

Recording Methods

Step 1 Beginning with the phenomenon of vibration I gathered as many recordings as possible of various vibrating conditions within the site, 211 JAR. My initial recordings were not amplified enough to distinguish any sounds. This image shows how I was trying to amplify and capture the vibration emanating from the wall. I could feel the vibration when I leaned my head against the wall and could hear the vibration but could not seem to capture the sound on a recording. To capture my recordings I created my own piezo disk microphones that I clip on to the object and it picks up the vibrations of whatever it is attached to.
Step 2 Field Recordings Next I set up a aeolian harp that ran radiates out from the ventilation system to various points in the room
The aeolian harp, also know as a wind harp amplifies airborne objects. So in this case it amplifies the sound passing along the wire, like in the game "telephone," therefore operating like a stringed instrument. The ventilation system transfers vibrations along the wire causing the wire to vibrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment